Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

If the Disease Doesn't Kill You the Test or the Cure May

This week was suppose to be filled with tests for me. I started off the week with a test for my stomach and the instructions were not to eat or drink after midnight and bring a raw egg & two pieces of bread. Hmmm, alrighhtty then. I HAD to look that up on the Internet and was relieved when I found out that they will cook it AFTER they mix in a little radioactive material. Ok, that's gotta be safe or they wouldn't do it, right? So I showed up with said materials. Of course it couldn't be that easy. I was rushing around and dropped the first egg on the floor. At least I didn't have the bread in the bag yet.

So, Tom dropped me off at the radiology place since he didn't want to give up the girls for day. As a matter of fact he took them to the mall across the street. Anyway I was feeling fine, comfortable, not hungry yet but my mouth was pretty dry. Then they handed me THESE so I could eat my radioactive sandwich.
I was a bit taken aback and then the two techs were whispering to each other if it was ok that I took a muscle relaxer the night before. I guess it was because she asked me if I wanted salt and pepper on my sandwich. Ya, sure. Then they brought out my dry sandwich all wrapped up (did I mention I was already thirsty and this sandwich was DRY). The tech had to ask me to eat faster, Can I have some water to wash it down? Nope but drink this whole glass of warm water after you finish eating. So I finished it drank my water and then I had to lay flat on my back on a metal table where they positioned an X-ray machine inches above my stomach FOR TWO HOURS. It took an x-ray about every 10 seconds from my calculations. I'm wondering how many x-rays that totals. More than anyone should have in a lifetime I imagine. So then there was some more whispering with backs turned to me and they told me I could go home and my dr would be in touch with me,YAY.

I wasn't broken hearted when my Tuesday test was canceled because the tech was sick. Even though I had fasted. They couldn't reschedule until June 21st. Popular test I guess.
Yesterday I had my follow up endoscopy and great news, my ulcers are healed, my stricture has shrunk and so has my hernia. A little bad news though. The tissue left behind after the healing is now pre-cancerous tissue that he biopsied and will have to "keep an eye on". The story continues . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment