RAMBLINGS OF A GRANDMOTHER

FAITH, HOPE and LOVE

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Flashback 1982

As my heart is aching for my Bransons on their way to Texas I was thinking back on another time when it felt like I was kicked in the chest, when Tom went to Basic Training then AIT. We were 23 and had been married for four years with a 3 year old and an 18 month old. I stayed in our house an hour away from family, which at the time seemed a long way. I was talking to my mom on the phone shortly after he left and she asked how I was doing and I told her I felt like I was kicked in the chest. She said "what did you expect?". That's typical Mom and she was right. Years later when Thomas spent the summer with my parents my dad used the same words to describe how he felt at the end of the visit.

I have whined that my in laws were never there for us but when Family Day, the week end between Tom's Basic Training and AIT, came around and we couldn't afford for me to go they came through at the last minute with a plane ticket and my parents kept the boys and even lent me her dress.

How hard it must have been to leave us behind

Then we prepared to move to Kansas and when we were getting married all my dad told Tom was "Don't take her away". That was just the first of many moves. His heart must have been breaking
My Mom, the no nonsense woman with a heart of gold.
Does the dress look a bit familiar? I still have it

No comments:

Post a Comment